Image credit: Emojipedia
I’ve scanned the latest news and updates in the social media world and here are the most important changes I’ve come across this week:
Successful social media campaign: Tinder’s ‘Swipe the Vote’ initiative
- Tinder has teamed up with Bite the Ballot in a bid to encourage young people to vote in the EU referendum.
- The initiative users Tinder’s swiping feature, giving users the chance to indicate their preference.
- 85% of Tinder’s users are between the ages of 18-34 and with only 1 in 4 young people registered to vote, the app hopes to help inspire young adults.
In other social media news…
Snapchat signs deal with Wimbledon
- For the first time, live moments from Wimbledon finals will be shared on Snapchat.
- A new 3-year deal has been signed with the All England Tennis and Croquet Club.
- The app has 10 million active users in the UK and the digital team at Wimbledon hope to engage with a younger audience through this new initiative.
- Tournament sponsors Häagen-Dazs and Stella Artois will be given ad spots.
Twitter and Yahoo to merge?
- The two teams have reportedly met to discuss their financial state and whether a merger would make sense for them both,.
- Twitter is the destination for instant news and Yahoo is considered much the same.
Facebook and the International Space Station
- Zuckerberg has spoken to astronauts via Facebook Live’s new video stream. Chatting in real-time, he invited fans to submit questions to be answered live via NASA’s Facebook page.
- The video was very popular, receiving hundreds of thousands of views.
- Very excited to hear that the Unicode Consortium are soon to be launching not one but 72 new emojis. Finally… an avocado, a selfie emoji, an egg, bacon, a potato. So much fun!