We’re going to share a little secret with you…we have found the most gorgeous house nestled neatly between Exmoor and Dartmoor, deep in the heart of the Devonshire countryside…
The Old Rectory is ideal for group weekend retreats, weddings and corporate entertaining. We should know because Liz hosted her 40th birthday party there this year and it truly rocked!
Our top tip: hunt out the secret grotto with a natural spring waterfall nestled inside, it’s really quite breathtaking. So you too can have a Brad Pitt and Angelina Joile midnight triste at a waterfall away from the kids…
So more facts about the Old Rectory:
• The house is completely private, with high walls and large gated entrance. There is no access is available to the grounds so perfectly discreet for a quiet celebrity retreat.
• The owners are used to high profile individuals using the property and make it their priority for ultimate discretion
• Five acres of ornate gardens and further pastures
• The saltwater swimming pool is solar heated and sits beside a Romanesque hot tub
• A giant wooden frames glasshouse provides guests with home grown produce
• Inside the main house the décor echo the globe trotting experiences of the couple who own it, Laurence and Leonie. They are both passionate art collectors – with works from Africa, Europe, Indian and Malaysia
• The marble Venue in the main living room looks out to the garden, this piece was picked up in Rome by Laurence, on his travels. It is one of his favourite pieces
• There is another out-house in the garden which is called the Dance Barn, this airy room has wooden floors and scattered cushions, perfect for yoga session, Pilates – of which the owners can organise for those who want to book
• A huge games room equipped with full size snooker table and comfy leather sofas. It reminds me of a smoking room, with dark woods and textiles adoring the room
• All the rooms have en-suite, one features a Mahogany and Walnut bathroom is fit for a king!
•The main house has 10 bedrooms
• The orange room with the drapes is known as the ‘Princess’ room
• The garden cottage sleeps a further 2 downstairs and 2 upstairs. This also features its own outside decked area with an OUTSIDE BATH with hot running water. So for those who dare can indulge in a bubble bath under the stars!
• The sofas in the main living room come from the movie studios Pinewood Studios (Laurence’s father was a movie producer)
• There’s even a tree house for visiting children
• Within yards of the House are two pubs, the Globe and the Red Lion (also owned by Laurence and Leonie), a local farm shop and a 14th Century Norman church
Special touches available to enhance your stay:
• Catering and butler services
• Swimming instructor
• Tennis coach – tennis court covered in Astro turf
• Fitness trainer
Other activities available close by include:
• Beach – 40 mins to Saunton Sands; Croyde/Woolacombe (new ring road & bridge over the estuary)
• Westward Ho – Northern Burrows – beautiful beach – good for kitesurfing (Woolacombe)
• Lots of coves on north coast – high profile surf community
• Exmoor / Dartmoor – midway between two moors; perfect in the height of summer when coast is busy. National Trust properties nearby.
• RHS Rosemoor 20 mins nearby – flagship gardens. Educational, experimental horticulturalists.
• Bee Centre
• Fishing – salmon and trout fishing on River Taw nearby and River Mole. Access to Little Dart from the house which hosts salmon. Course fishing – carp.
• Clay pigeon shooting
• Local airfield providing Gliding and micro lights
• Gastronomic centres within driving distances; eg Endsleigh (have a cream tea on the lawn), Giddleigh Park, Bovey House (De Savary’s), Masons Arms (Michelin star – 15 mins away), lots of small gastro pubs with good reputations just 15 mins away
• Totnes (for the arts)
• Golf courses – small 18 hole short course High Bullen (and inside tennis court) & 3 others in north Devon, including Saunton Sands links course
• Horse riding – local stables
Transport Link information:
• Train links; connects to Exeter – 2hrs Penzance express to Paddington and Rectory staff can collect; Tiverton Parkway (1/2hr away)
• Newquay Airport – 1hr 10 mins
• Bristol Airport – 1.5hr
• Exeter Airport – 45mins