Haskins is encouraging gardeners to make the most of their home-grown cabbage with a delicious spiced red cabbage recipe for Christmas.
Alasdair Urquhart, plant expert at Haskins Garden Centres, commented: “Making your own spiced red cabbage is simple and rewarding. Even if you haven’t had time to grow your own this year, you can still follow our step-by-step recipe.
“It’s so popular in all our centre restaurants that we thought we would spread some festive cheer and share the recipe with our loyal customers so that everyone can enjoy our spiced red cabbage in the comfort of their own home and make their Christmas dinner extra special.”
Ingredients (makes 10-12 portions)
- 1kg red cabbage
- 150g finely chopped white onions
- 2 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 50g caster sugar
- 85g honey
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 200ml red wine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 100ml orange juice
- ¼ level teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- ¼ level teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 200g apple sauce
- Discard the outer leaves of the cabbage. Quarter and remove the hard stalk. Shred.
- Fry off the onions and the garlic.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, except the apple sauce into a large, lidded sauce pan and stir well.
- Gently simmer on the stove for approximately 1.5 hours, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Add the apple sauce at the end and stir.
- The spiced red cabbage can be chilled, refrigerated and reheated.
Haskins has centres in Ferndown in Dorset, West End in Southampton and Roundstone and Snowhill in West Sussex. For more information visit www.haskins.co.uk