“Christmas is a coming” and Haskins Garden Centres has released some top tips on how to make the most out of natural Christmas trees this festive period.
Real cut Christmas trees come in a number of varieties and the length of time they retain their needles differ – Nordmann Fir and Noble Fir are renowned for greater needle retention.
Alasdair Urquhart, plant advisor at Haskins Garden Centres, explains: “For those who enjoy a natural tree, there’s something special about the scent of its fresh needles. Along with festive food and goodwill, a dressed tree is an essential feature of Christmas. Whether you prefer artificial or real, a Christmas tree is the centrepiece of the season and a little care and attention will undoubtedly help its performance over the coming weeks.”
- Choose for the space you have – Large trees are best for rooms with tall ceilings or as focal points in open hallways, whereas medium and small trees are ideal for an average sized living room. Oddly shaped trees might lend well to a particular part of the house. For example, a tree with a flat side is perfect for positioning against a wall while a tree with a wide base will suit a corner.
- Store it well – The best way to store a ‘real’ tree before it is brought indoors is to remove the net and keep it in a cool, dry, wind sheltered spot, preferably in a bucket of water.
- Make it last – Christmas trees can drink up to three pints of water per day, especially in a warm room. So it is best to place the tree in a water-holding stand as this will reduce the task of watering, to just topping up. Keeping the tree away from direct heat sources, such as fires or hot radiators, will also prolong its life.
Haskins offers the service of sawing an inch off the end of the Christmas tree trunk when purchased, to prepare the tree for being planted in a bucket and keep it looking its best for longer.
Prices for Christmas available at Haskins Garden Centres range from:
– £19.99 for a 3ft cut Christmas tree
– £62.99 for a premium 7 to 8ft Christmas tree
– Artificial varieties start from £49.99 for a 6ft Christmas to £149.99 for premium 7ft version.
Haskins Garden Centres is located in Ferndown in Dorset, West End in Southampton and Roundstone and Snowhill in West Sussex.